Friday, July 8, 2011

My Life Verse

Friday, July 8, 2011
By Mike Stone, Senior Pastor

Christ has died for sins, once for all, the just for the unjust that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh but made alive in the Spirit.  (1 Peter 3:18)


On several occasions preaching revival, some kind church member will ask me to sign their Bible.  I am not sure where that cultural ritual began.  But some folks like to have the name of every guest speaker in their Bible.  Whenever I sign my name, I will place a reference to my “life verse” underneath my signature.  1 Peter 3:18 is arguably my favorite verse in the Bible.  In today’s devotional time I intend to teach this verse to my kids.  It is a nearly exhaustive verse concerning the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

First, it speaks of the pain of the cross.  The word “died” is also rendered as “suffered” in some Bible translations.  That word reminds me that the death of the Savior was not a pretty, sterile, clean event.  It was ruthless, barbarous, and vicious.  Oh, the price He paid and the agony He bore!

Secondly, this verse tells of the sufficiency of His death.  The phrase “once for all” literally means His work was finished, done, settled, and accomplished.  He will never have to die again because He will never NEED to die again.  Christ’s death on the cross is sufficient to atone for the sins of all who will repent and believe.  The just One died in the stead of those who were unjust.  Oh marvelous mercy!  As the hymn writer said, “I need no other argument.  I need no other plea.  It is enough the Jesus died and that He died for me!”  Amen.

Romans 5:8
Downloadable Coloring Sheet


Thirdly, this Scripture tells me of the reconciling power of the cross.  It is only through the cross that sinful man can be brought to God.  We do not come to God.  Christ comes to us through the power of the cross, lifts us from our sin and brings us to God.  Before my salvation I was His enemy.  But through the cross of Christ I have been made to be at peace with God.

Finally, this little verse shows me that the Father accepted Christ’s work on Calvary.  The resurrection of Jesus was God’s open and public display that His wrath could be averted and His just demands could be met.  Christ bore the wrath and met the demands in my place.  The Risen Lord having been “made alive” is irrefutable proof of this glorious truth.

Possible activities for the day

1.  Ask the members of your family if they have repented and believed on Christ.  If so, share the details of that salvation experience.  If not, invite the repent and believe today!  The verbal testimony of our salvation is one of the greatest gifts we can give to our family members.

2.  Consider making a cross.  Young children can use popsicle sticks and glue.  Older children may want to go to dad’s shop (with permission!) and make a cross.  Mom and Dad could look around the house and see if there is a cross displayed in the home.