Sunday, July 3, 2011

Freedom Is Not Free
By Mike Stone, Senior Pastor

Greater love has no man than this; that he lay down his life for his friends. (John 15:13)


For the second year in a row we are blessed to observe “Family Worship Week” beginning on this Citizenship Sunday.  It’s a great time to wave the flag, fire up the grill, and spend some extra time with family.  More importantly, it’s a wonderful time to fall to our knees in grateful prayer to God for the blessings we’ve experienced as a nation.  As we prepare to celebrate America’s 235th birthday I am overwhelmed with the fact that someone had to pay for this party!  Today, I intend to reflect on 3 things.

First I am grateful for the patriots in the past.  From Valley Forge to Afghanistan, from Gettysburgh to Iwo Jima, from Shiloh to Normandy, the freedom I will enjoy today with my wife and kids was purchased with the blood of patriots.  My grandfather served in the Army in WW2. My nephew is one of the few, the proud, the Marines!  They stand in a long line of men and women whose sacrifice has secured our borders and purchased our freedom.  I will thank God for them today, remembering that “All gave some and some gave all.”

Secondly, I am grateful for the leaders in the government.  We live in a very divided country politically.  So it is nearly impossible that any person is happy with every leader and every decision.  Yet the word of God commands us to give them honor, respect, and submission.  Today, I intend to pray and to lead my children to pray for our president, our Congress, our judges, and other leaders at national, state, and local levels.  As an act of obedience (since I can’t name them all) I think I will focus on those I disagree with the most.  The office they hold and the service they render was ordained by God.

Finally, I am grateful for the Lord Jesus. Without His ultimate sacrifice on the cross for my sins, the sacrifice of patriots and politicians would only provide temporary liberty.  The civic freedom I will celebrate this holiday weekend is a feeble reminder of the eternal liberty I will experience through the ages because of my Savior. 

So, I will fly the flag, watch the fireworks, and get a little lump in my throat when I hear the national anthem.  But it is merely a frail and fleeting reminder of a liberation still to come.  My ultimate allegiance is to Christ, my banner is the cross, and my citizenship is in heaven.

Possible activities for the day:

1.  Have the entire family pray for our governmental leaders.  Each family member could be assigned to pray for a specific leader.  Pray that God would clothe him/her with wisdom and with strength.  Pray for President Obama, Senators Chambliss and Isakson, Congressman Kingston and others.

2.  Attend the church picnic or similar family event.  Enjoying the freedom that others purchased is a genuine way to honor their sacrifice.

3.  Pray for our Christian brothers and sisters in places like China where civil liberties do not exist as we enjoy them in America.